Monday, January 5, 2009

Nothing like Portobello!


Paul Smith's second store located in Mayfair, London.


I have always wondered where do all these designers get their inspirations from. One of my favourite designers, Paul Smith, who just recently opened his second boutique in Mayfair, London, has this to say,

"I'm off to Portobello today to get ideas. (I'm driving there in my black Mini Cooper, eating a scone and dictating this blog at the same time). I love going to the market at the beginning of the year to get inspired - though I'm hoping I'm not too early to see all my old friends there, maybe it's too cold for them.

It's not unusual to see all sorts of designers from the international fashion houses there picking up tips for their new collections and you can often see a strong London theme in their shows as a result. I just like to wander around and either pick up interesting, unusual things for the shop windows - a kitsch statue, say - or ideas for my designs: you might see an interesting pocket detail on a jacket, maybe, or an unusual stitch or a great button. I can't give away all my secrets about which are the best stalls but I'll give you a clue and say try under the bridge and over to the left...

I'm off to Paris next week to talk to the editors of the French newspaper, Liberation, about guest-editing a copy of the paper on the day of Barack Obama's inauguration. Very exciting."


Paul Smith


Hmm, now we know! So, I guess I'll be off to Portobello soon too!

No comments: