Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Karl Lagerfeld, King of Controversy!



Well, well, Mr Lagerfeld, you sure know how to steal the limelight as reported in The New Paper. Apparently, the animal rights group People for the Ethical treatment of Animals (PETA) called Lagerfeld a 'dinosaur' after he defended the fur industry by saying that "beasts" would kill humans if we didn't kill them. He also added, "In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and clothes and even handbags, the discussion of fur is childish."

That does make sense on the surface but then again, its the treatment of the animals that they are talking about. Personally, I find fur extremely gorgeous! I would love to own one but of course, I don't. So, do not come and raid me! All you animal rights activists, let me make this clear, I love fur but I do not own one because I condemn the way these 'harvesters' torture the animals. Maybe you guys should figure out a way to get those beautiful fur without torturing the animals. Then, it'll be a win-win situation, aye?

But then again, I kinda expected such words coming out from Lagerfeld especially after the whole size-zero issue. For those of you who ain't aware, he drew criticisms when he supported the use of size-zero models to show the designs. In his defence, he said, "In France there are, I think, less than one percent of people who are too skinny. There are nearly thirty percent of young people who are too fat. So let's take care of the zillions of the too fat before we talk about the percentage that's left."

I must confess! I actually nod in agreement when he first said that! Well, if it makes the too fat just right, its fine, right? I think obesity is a much bigger problem than being skinny. However, the whole eating disorder thing that arises from wanting to be skinny can be quite scary too. Well, what I actually believe in his health. If you are healthy, you won't be a size-zero nor will you send the scales to the dumps. You will be just right fof your frame. Come on, people! Being too skinny and too fat is freakishly ugly! Too much of anything - make-up, diet, food, botox, exercise, is freakishly ugly! Life is about balance! So for this new year, I wish everyone will be able to find their balance. Peace!

No comments: